[Cough… man, it’s dusty in here. Been a while, huh? Well, let’s get the lights on.]
Hello everyone! I’m blogging again. Don’t roll your eyes, this is going to be great, you’ll see. And if it isn’t… well, I’m here for me, not you. I don’t need that kind of negativity. Get lost.
Recently, I’ve been browsing various wellness and recipe websites looking for cooking ideas to help inspire me in the kitchen. At the start of lockdown I put so much effort into cooking, but now my most extravagant meal is a chicken leg and a bunch of barely chopped vegetables that can roast in the oven for 40 minutes while I watch telly. So I've been looking for inspiration. And I found it, although not quite in the format I was expecting.
Terrible recipes! There are some awful-looking recipes on the internet, and I skipped over so many before I realised... I'm passing harsh judgement on them without even giving them a try. Someone has taken some of their precious time to write and post this recipe, and I'm dismissing it without a thought. I might be missing all sorts of wonderful things just because I'm too narrow-minded - it isn't fair, and it isn't right.
I'm also missing a wonderful learning opportunity, because while cooking is a world I know well enough to tromp around in unaided, baking is the sort of place I always need a map for. And doing things that are wrong is often a really useful way to learn how to do things right. Or at least, why you should do things right.
And so an idea formed.
! Do the terrible recipes.
! Post the aftermath.
And, I don't know, maybe try to fix them? I think that might be a bit beyond me for now, and involve more time and ingredients than I'm willing to spare, but at the very least I get to guess how badly something might go wrong and then find out if I'm right. This'll be fun!
There are still some details to iron out (specifically, where all these awful recipes are going to come from), but I do know a couple of things:
1. I will not be posting the website/blog I get the recipes from. I'm not out to shame anyone, I just want to try some awful recipes.
2. I will be eating the results of my experiments. I'm not going to throw a load of perfectly good food into this just to throw it out afterwards. I've got a sturdy stomach, and while I might be slightly fussy with the food I like, I'll eat almost anything once. The only exceptions will be if something is burnt beyond edibility, or has turned so completely rancid that even I can't force it down.
If you stumble across any terrible baking recipes, feel free to fling them my way. Sweet, savoury, unsure, whatever you find I’ll try (caveat: unless I don’t want to). I’ve got a couple to start me off, and I have some ideas for where to find others, but suggestions will always be appreciated.
And with that, I’m off to write up my first experiment. Yes, the first one is done and in my belly (although I’m not necessarily happy about that), and hopefully will be ready for posting next week. Watch this space, and I’ll see you all soon!

Comments