Day 3 - Tokyo Once Again

Konnichiwa friends. Welcome to day three of Japan, where I get wet, run around a lot, and ask half a question in Japanese. With any luck I'll progress to full sentences tomorrow :)

Today was another Tokyo day, my last of this trip, and it was raining when I left the hotel. I met up with Dora to take a stroll around the Museum of Science and Nature (the one with the great big fricken whale, you remember?). The museum was awesome - fairly small, and with no real English descriptions, so we were basically looking at the pretty things and occasionally talking to the volunteers. I managed to ask if we were allowed to take photos, although what I actually said was 'may I take?'. Thankfully they got the jist. There was a room on the ancient peoples of Japan (the Jomon and the Yayoi) with lots of bones and dioramas and things, and the most incredible urn burial with a mummified body. Sadly, no photos were allowed of the urn burial, but the rest of the room was fair game.

Skulls!

After a quick waltz around the museum shop (in which I almost bought a cuddly tardigrade) we headed off for lunch, meeting up with Radosław on the way. The rain had passed, so we took advantage of the nicer weather to visit the Imperial Palace Gardens.

Wow.

Part of the Imperial Gardens.

Unfortunately, we got there with only half an hour until closing, so I only saw the lower (and smaller) bit of it, but even with all the people there it was still the most beautiful and peaceful place I've been to in a long time. This one is definitely on my list to revisit.

More unfortunately, it began to rain just as we left here, when we had planned the open top bus tour for the evening. All might have been lost... (pause for suspense), but the bus had a fold out roof, so we were fine, if a little blocked in terms of view. Still, I saw the Tokyo Tower up close (it's really nicely lit up at night), the Kabuki Theatre, and lots of other wonderful views. Night time on a moving vehicle is not the best time to take photos, so I only have the one decent photo to share with you, from the moment I got off the bus.

Tokyo Tower. Definitely not Eiffel.

So now I'm back in my hotel for the last night, having a bite to eat and getting ready for an early train to Kyoto tomorrow. Wish me luck, and better weather!

Comments

Liz Mordue said…
I'm a little disappointed that you didn't get the cuddly tardigrade ;-)