Day 14 - Tokyo

I didn't really expect to have anything to say today. I've arrived in Tokyo for my last afternoon in Japan, and everything so far today has gone pretty smoothly. But there's one thing I just couldn't keep to myself, so you guys get a whole blog post about it.

The room service/hotel restaurant menu.

It's the sort of thing you see on facebook sometimes, and I've always been about 98% sure they were fake, but here it is, in real life. The 'A topping is held, oh, potato salad sandwich', the menu option which just about managed to beat the 'Chubbiness, steak bowl' option to my favourite restaurant meal spot.

I'm considering these menu options as I sit here eating my microwave probably-pork katsu curry and drinking a glass of wine. I find them hugely symbolic of Japan as a whole - quirky, adorable, and more or less complete incomprehensible. I have so many more questions than I had before I came. Why is the sandwich name in the form of an incomplete haiku? Why was there a singing sweet potato at the airport? Why is Greensleaves randomly played in public areas for no apparent reason? I don't think I'm going to find the answers to these questions on this trip. I may not ever find the answers. But one thing I know is that it's worth further investigation. Sayonara Japan! I'll be back.


Comments