Mad Men (Part 32)

[Continued from here]



Beranwen hurried back towards the house in time to see something crash through the front door and onto the dirt outside. It was a chair. As she got closer, she could hear a female voice shouting, tantrum-like, and a male voice trying to be heard over her. Beranwen didn't want to interrupt, especially not after she had been told to leave, but she couldn't help creeping forwards to find out what had happened in the few moments since they had walked away.
"...told you to fix it. I built something to fix it. Why did you just let it go? It's broken, and I can fix it."
"Will you stop calling him 'it'..."
"It shouldn't keep falling apart. I built it wrong first time, but I figured out how to fix it. Why would you let it go when it's still broken?"
"Derra, just leave it. It's not important."
"And what if it says something about..."
"He can't even remember his own name."
"I'm talking, Mendel. Let me finish when I'm talking. What if it remembers what happened to him? You have to bring it back. Then I can fix it, and it won't tell anyone what happened."
"I can't bring him back, Derra. We just have to let him go, even if he is broken."
"Then I'll go and get it back."
That was Beranwen's cue to leave. Hoping Mendel would hold Derra back long enough for her to get back out of sight, she lifted her skirts and ran as fast as she could back to Quinton and Stan.
Another scream came from behind her as she ran, and a yell from Mendel. Then she heard running feet following, and turned to see Derra catching up with her and waving a metal plate.
"Stop. Get Raif down. It needs these. Mendel won't do it, so I have to. Come on, get it down."
"Derra, stop!" Mendel came running up behind. "Mistress Tuple, climb up on your horse and ride away. I will deal with this."
"Don't tell her that." Derra grabbed Stan and tried to pull him from the saddle. "Get it down. I have to fit these."
"Derra..." Mendel grabbed Derra and tried to pull her away, and the woman screamed once more. It was an ear-splitting noise that made Beranwen wince, and by the time she was able to focus again Derra was twisting away from Mendel and swatting at him with her hands. Since one of her hands was holding the metal plate, Mendel was keeping back.
"Please, mistress Tuple!"
"Would it not be easier to let her fix the plates? If it helps Stan... Raif, whoever he is, and she's happy to do it? She clearly wants to do it."
"You do not understand, miss Tuple."
"No, I don't."
"Let me fix it!" Derra was almost crying now, although she swiped at her eyes as though angry with the tears that were forming there. "Do you think I can't do it? Let me do it!"
"Derra stop." Mendel had to shout to be heard over the woman's cries. "I will make you a compromise. You will give me the plates and go back to your work, and I will fit them."
"You won't do it right. I have to do it."
"You wanted me to do it earlier."
"I don't want you to do it now."
"Then you have to promise you will only fit the plates, and do nothing else. Can you promise me that?"
Derra seemed to change instantly. All anger disappeared, and she was the calm, serious woman she had seemed when she had first appeared.
"Of course I can. I will only fit the plates. Now get it back inside so I can work."
Mendel sighed, and turned to Beranwen.
"If you wouldn't mind taking him back inside?"
Quinton, at a glance from Beranwen, dismounted again and picked Stan back up. By that point, Derra was already half way back to the house.
"Is she alright?" Beranwen asked carefully as they retraced their steps down the track.
"She is just troubled." Mendel clearly didn't want to talk about it.
"But she built Stan, didn't she? Why did you say it was you?"
There was silence for a moment while Mendel decided if he wanted to answer. Then he said,
"It's just easier."
"She must be a genius."
"Hmm."
"And you take care of her?"
"As well as I can."
"Surely work like hers could make her a lot of money. Why would you chose to live here when you could have a place in the city, or a manor house in the country?"
"She doesn't do it to make money, she does it because it makes her happy. If anyone saw what she could make, they'd never leave us alone. They'd think they could just ask for something and she'd make it for them - she can't work like that. And when she doesn't do what they want, they'll start threatening her. She can't even cope with people when they're being nice. The way she was just then, that wasn't even bad. If someone came in and tried ordering her around..."
"So you're protecting her."
"She needs it. She can't even care for herself. She only thinks about machines, about how things work."
"So why didn't you want her working on Stan again?"
Mendel stopped walking. They were in sight of the front door now, but he clearly didn't want to carry the conversation inside.
"When she gets an idea in her head, it's almost impossible to get it out again. If she opens R... Stan up, she'll see something else that she's not happy with, or that needs adjustment, or could be replaced with something better. She'll fix the plates, of course, but that won't be an end to it. Sooner or later, she'll pull the whole lot out and try to start again. Half the things she builds get taken apart with days and turned into something else."
"She's not taking Stan apart." Quinton objected.
"No, she's not. I'll make sure she doesn't. But once she's fitted the plates, you should take him and leave. Don't let him come back."
"Why did he leave in the first place, Mendel?" Beranwen asked.
"I don't know. But maybe he saw how Derra treats the things she builds. Or maybe he heard her... I can think of a few reasons he might have gone. It was almost a relief. But I knew someone would find him and want to know who built him and how." He gave Quinton a quick glance before turning back to Beranwen. "I know you understand about protecting someone that can't protect themselves. Help me protect Derra. Don't tell anyone about her. We just want to be left alone."
"Is she..." Beranwen glanced quickly at Quinton as well, and lowered her voice slightly. "Is she mad?"
"She's just troubled." Mendel started walking again, and they had no choice but to follow.

[Part 33]

Comments