Mad Men (Part 30)

[Continued from here]



Quinton starred daggers at Mendel as he spoke, then refused to let him near Stan. Giving up, Mendel walked back to his house, calling for the pair of them to hurry up.
"I don't like him." Quinton said.
"He is a bit grumpy, isn't he?" Beranwen admitted. "Still, it looks like he knows what he's doing with Stan, and he's right when he says Stan needs some sorting out." She sighed. "Well, up you get, Quinton. Help me get Stan inside. He's too heavy for me to move alone."
Between them they carried Stan back to the house. Mendel had left the door open for them, and as they entered he gestured to the spotless kitchen table. After they had deposited Stan there, Beranwen sent Quinton back for the horses, and eyed Mendel suspiciously.
"Just so you know, sir," She told him while Quinton was out of hearing, "My demanding friend is quick to anger, and quick to act. Be aware of what you do to Stan, or you may find yourself sporting a black eye you never intended to have."
"In my house, mistress Tuple, I will act as I wish. If your friend has a problem with me, he may leave."
"If only it were that easy."
By the time Quinton returned, Mendel was leaning over Stan, too engrossed in his work to notice the young lord returning. Beranwen motioned him to silence, and stood him in a corner out of the way.
"What's he doing?" Quinton whispered.
"I'm not sure. I think he's just checking him over for any... oh my goodness!"
In the centre of the room, with no thought for privacy, Mendel began pulling Stan's clothes off. Beranwen turned away quickly.
"Timid, mistress Tuple?" Mendel asked with a slight smile. "Advisors cannot afford that luxury."
"I'm not an advisor." She replied, back resolutely to him.
"No use lying about it. Your friend is a Mad Man, and he calls you Master, that makes you his advisor. I'm not blind."
"Not you're not. Since you're so sure about us, why don't you tell us what you are. You live alone in the woods, but you're not a forester, or a hunter."
"Why am I not?"
"Because you don't have the tools to be a forester, and you don't move right for a hunter. I'd say you work with your hands, given the calluses and the scars."
"And given that I'm working with my hands right now?"
"That's not the sort of work I meant." Cautiously, Beranwen looked over her shoulder to see if it was safe to turn back around. It wasn't. "Could you maybe put a blanket over him or something?"
"No. It would get in my way. If this isn't working with my hands, then what is?"
"The scars on your hands are burns. You work with fire. Maybe a blacksmith, except I can't smell a workshop nearby."
"Go on."
"That's as far as I go. If I could figure it out, I wouldn't have asked what you do."
"If I was going to tell you, I'd have done it by now. There, it's safe for you to turn back."
When she looked again, Stan was still unclothed, but his shirt lay modestly over the tops of his legs, which themselves were detached and had been moved to one side. Mendel was bent low over Stan's torso, removing a metal plate and easing the broken oil tube out.
“Will that be difficult to fix?” She asked, staring entranced as she realised that inside, under the metal plate, Stan was a beautiful tangle of brass and steel.
“Would have been if you’d left it any longer. Fat lot of use the tube was doing as it was. No lubrication getting to his legs at all. You do this?”
“No. Another advisor.”
“Another? You lot get together for drinks or something? I thought you pretty much stuck with your lords.”
“Sometimes our lords get together.”
“Hmm. Well advisors you might be, but engineers you are not.”
“That is fairly obvious. But you can fix him?”
“Of course. No problem. Wait here.”
Mendel disappeared quickly into another room and returned holding a new length of tubing.
“Are you too timid to lend a hand? This bit can get tricky.”
“What do you have to do?” Beranwen stepped forward before Quinton could jump in to help.
“You need to hold him up so I can fit the tube to the reservoir. Just grab his waist and lift him. Come on, girl. What kind of advisor isn’t ready to get their hands dirty occasionally?”
Beranwen bit back a sarcastic reply. Somewhat reluctantly, she put her hands on either side of Stan’s torso and tilted him slightly.
“A bit more. No, more than that. Come on, mistress Tuple, he’s not going to fall apart. Lift him up!”
Stan was practically on his head by the time Mendel was happy. Then it was a matter of holding him still while Mendel reached into the inner workings and fiddled with unknowable mechanisms. Stan wasn’t small, even in half, and Beranwen felt her arms beginning to shake before Mendel finally stepped back and nodded.
“Right. Same thing on the other end.”
“Really?” She scoffed. “Do you think this is really work for a woman?”
“At your age, mistress Tuple, I doubt anything will come as a surprise. I’d ask your Mad Man to do it, but I wouldn’t trust him to tell me his name. Just hold his legs, like before. I won’t be long.”
It wasn’t as bad as Beranwen had imagined, although she did turn her gaze away once she had found a safe place to hold. Then Mendel attached the other end of the tube to somewhere inside Stan’s legs, and helped Beranwen lower him back to the table in line with his torso.
“Is that it?” Quinton asked from the sidelines. “Is he fixed?”
“Almost.” The tube seemed stupidly long now that both parts of Stan’s body were almost back together, but Mendel seemed to have a solution for that. Inside Stan’s torso was a reel, and there was just enough excess to wind loosely around the reel once. After stowing it tidily back inside Stan’s chest, the metal plate went back on the underside of the torso, and Mendel took a damp cloth to the outside surfaces. Then, once he was ready, and showing considerably more skill than Lucan had shown the day before, Mendel adjusted Stan’s legs and slotted them easily back on. There was a click, and Stan was whole again.

[Part 31]

Comments