Mad Men (Part 21)

[Continued from here]



It was late afternoon when they finally reached the house once more. Nereus was waiting by the door as they rode up.
"You've acquired a new companion, I see." It was the first thing he said, and his tone was not approving.
"This is Stan." Quinton introduced before Beranwen could speak. "We found him in the woods. Then we found his legs, and it turns out he has cogs, but he's still real."
"I see." Nereus lied. "Lord Quinton, I'm sure your father you like to see that you have returned, and to hear that your quest ended well. I must speak to Master Beranwen for a while, but I will see you shortly."
Obediently, Quinton climbed from his horse and ran inside, clutching his red scarf and calling for his father.
Beranwen climbed more slowly from her horse, all too aware of what was coming. Before he could be forgotten, though, she brought the conversation back to Stan.
"Master Nereus, Stan has spent the night in the forest. Might we get him some food and some water to wash in?"
"Of course." Nereus seemed fine with the idea of removing Stan from the approaching conversation. Turning to the man, he added, "The kitchens are around the back. Tell them I have sent you, and they will give you food and hot water."
"I'll come and see you in a bit, Stan." Beranwen added, seeing the hesitant look in the mechanical man's eyes. Reluctantly, Stan nodded and disappeared around the back of the house.
"I hope that man is not the object of lord Quinton's quest." Nereus said seriously.
"No, Master Nereus. We found a scarf abandoned in a den in the forest."
Nereus seemed to relax.
"Good. That's something, at least. Come inside and tell me about the quest, then. And explain the presence of the stranger."

Beranwen talked Nereus through the events of the day. Glossing over the worse parts of it wasn't an option - whenever she tried it, Nereus would stop her and ask probing questions until the whole truth came out. He was too good at dealing with Mad Men to let seemingly innocuous lines like 'Quinton got cross' slip by unchallenged.
 With nowhere to hide, Beranwen got slowly quieter and quieter as she spoke, until she eventually came to her plan to rescue Stan. She explained. Nereus listened. There was silence.
"Lord Quinton was very upset that he had been taken." Beranwen said defensively.
More silence greeted that. She felt like Nereus' gaze was drilling into her.
"And Master Lucan doesn't know it was us." That didn't seem to be a particularly good excuse, but it came out of her mouth anyway.
"Master Lucan is a very clever man." Nereus said finally.
"I know. And he suspected us, but he doesn't now. We met him on the way out of the forest..." Beranwen hurried on with the rest of her story, wondering if the ending would make up for the bad bits in the middle.
"Lord Quinton lied for you?"
"Um..." That hadn't even crossed Beranwen's mind. "I didn't ask him to. I just asked him to be friends with lord Derryl again."
"So he did it voluntarily, of his own volition?"
There wasn't a good answer for that, either.
"Yes."
"Mistress Tuple, perhaps I wasn't clear when explaining the role of an advisor."
"You were perfectly clear, Master Nereus." She replied, feeling slightly annoyed at being called 'mistress'.
"The can you explain to me why you dragged lord Quinton into an argument that you could very easily have talked him out of, why you felt it necessary to attack another Mad Man, and why in the gods names you inspired your young, impressionable lord to think for himself?"
Beranwen had no answer that wouldn't get her fired on the spot, so she stayed silent.
Nereus sighed, and fell back in his chair.
"I am sure you're aware that your livelihood in this house - your family's livelihood - depends on the Gentins remaining Mad Men. A single bump in the road can cause a Mad Man to start having serious thoughts. You have been more than a bump, mistress Tuple. I really cannot risk you influencing lord Quinton anymore than you already have. Therefore, you will collect your things and inform the housekeeper than you are leaving. You can spend the night as long as you keep out of sight, but in the morning you must be gone."
"Master Nereus..."
"I am told that you have been a good worker in all other respects, and so I will allow the housekeeper to provide you with a respectable reference for whatever new role you acquire."
"Master Nereus..."
"However, if you continue to attempt to argue with me, that allowance will not be made."
Beranwen shut up quickly.
"Now, unless you have anything else to tell me of today's events, I believe we have finished. Go and pack your belongings, mistress Tuple. You will need to leave early - I do not wish to see you in the morning."

[Part 22]

Comments