This may seem like cheating. It's very similar to cheating, in fact. Almost indistinguishable. But hear me out, and judge for youselves.
For NaNo this year, I've decided to continue a little piece I wrote quite a while ago, called Mad Men. I posted a bit of it here just after I wrote it. I'm being good, though, and not counting it in my word count for today. I might not even count it tomorrow. It's not a day's worth of writing in any case, but it might serve as a little boost mid month, when I really need it. That's not cheating, is it?
Anyway, I'm not going to post the first bit again. It's here for whoever wants to catch up. And if you're all sitting comfortably, I will continue...
[Part 3]
For NaNo this year, I've decided to continue a little piece I wrote quite a while ago, called Mad Men. I posted a bit of it here just after I wrote it. I'm being good, though, and not counting it in my word count for today. I might not even count it tomorrow. It's not a day's worth of writing in any case, but it might serve as a little boost mid month, when I really need it. That's not cheating, is it?
Anyway, I'm not going to post the first bit again. It's here for whoever wants to catch up. And if you're all sitting comfortably, I will continue...
Mad Men
"I
shall go on a quest." Lord Quinton announced over supper one evening. Duke
Winstanleigh nodded appreciatively, and made the sort of face made by a man
trying to chew an overlarge mouthful of food quickly, while at the same time
indicating that he had something to say and didn't wish to be interrupted
before he had even started. Quinton waited patiently while his father gurned
and waved his hands around, until eventually the Duke swallowed, sighed hugely,
and smiled at his son.
"Good."
Quinton
waited a moment to see if anything more inspiring was forthcoming. When it was
clear that his father had said all he was going to say, Quinton continued.
"I
can waste no time in this quest, and so I shall leave at dawn."
Duke
Winstanleigh nodded again, pleased with the amount of thought his son had put
into his idea. Smiling, father and son returned to their meal.
Standing
in the corner, Duke Winstanleigh's advisor, Nereus Jadran politely cleared his
throat and stepped forward.
"If
I may, your Grace?" He asked. When Duke Winstanleigh nodded, Nereus turned
to Quinton.
"Might
I ask, my lord, what is the object of your quest?"
"I
don't know." Quinton replied cordially. Gesturing with his fork, he added,
"But Lord Derryl of Eringdon is leaving on a quest tomorrow, and he is
sure to have an object in mind. By following him, I can learn what it is he is
searching for, reach it before him, and return home triumphant."
"And
how long do you expect this will take?"
"I
don't see that it would take more than a day. Derryl doesn't like sleeping out
of doors."
Duke
Winstanleigh scratched his chin thoughtfully.
"Depending
on what he's searching for, it could take a lot longer than that." He
muttered.
Quinton
blinked, caught unawares by his father's sensible comment. Even Nereus turned,
a frown marring his normally unconcerned face.
"Your
Grace, are you feeling well?" Nereus asked.
"Quite
well." Duke Winstanleigh replied, throwing off his surprisingly serious
demeanour. Turning back to his son, he added, "I have asked Cook for
haunch of veal tomorrow night. Make sure you're back in plenty of time for
dinner."
"I
will, father."
"Nereus,"
Duke Winstanleigh turned to face his advisor. "Make everything ready for
my son's departure in the morning."
"Yes,
sir." Nereus bowed. "I shall see to that directly."
[Part 3]
Comments