Mad Men (Part 10)

[Continued from here]


"Goodness." Beranwen breathed. "Do you need any help? How did you get out here?"
"I walked, of course. At least," The man frowned suddenly. "I probably walked. I'm sure I remember walking."
"You can't have walked. You have no legs." Quinton pointed, as though the man's lack of legs was somehow hidden from normal sight.
"Lord Quinton, please." Beranwen silenced him. "Sir, please forgive us for disturbing you. But we'd be more than happy to help you on your way, if you had a destination in mind. And... if you need a doctor...?" She left the question hanging. There didn't seem to be any sign of blood.
"A doctor? More likely a tinkerer. But I'd be much happier if I could just find my legs. They can't be far. Can't understand how they came off in the first place."
"Your... your legs just came off?"
"I must have been tired. That feeling when your eyes feel heavy and you want to lie down, that's being tired, right?"
"It normally happens in the evening." Quinton contributed.
"It was the evening. So I must have been tired. I lay down and closed my eyes, and when I opened them again, my legs were gone. Looks like something dragged them away - look, there."
Beranwen followed the man's finger as he pointed, and saw tracks in the mulch of the forest floor, as though something large had been dragged further into the trees. Quinton leapt over to examine them.
"So you had your legs last night?" Beranwen asked, feeling sure she wasn't following the conversation very well.
"It might have been last night. Is it normal to close your eyes for longer than one night?"
"Not unless you're sick. But there should be..."
"Should be what?"
Beranwen glanced furtively at Quinton, but he was absorbed in the tracks, so she muttered,
"Blood."
"Is that was usually happens when you lose your legs? Blood?"
"Yes."
"Ah. Well, this is my first time. Maybe I'm doing it wrong." The man pulled himself a bit further upright. "Although, there was this black stuff. Is this blood?" He picked up a leaf from the ground beside the stump of his body. Beranwen took it.
"This is oil."
"Oil. Is it like blood?"
"This came out of you?"
"Just a little bit. I don't think it should have done, but maybe a tube got broken when my legs were taken."
Quinton, who had been occupying himself up until then, looked up and gave an excited yelp.
"You have a belt made of cogs. That's pretty. That can be my trophy!"
The man with no legs frowned at Quinton.
"I don't have a belt at all. My trousers went with my legs. Or, I assume they did. Fat lot of use it'd be having a belt with no trousers."
"No, look, it's right here." Quinton reached out. Beranwen only just reacted in time.
"Quinton, no. Don't touch the gentleman. That's not polite." She grabbed at his hand as it reached out for the bottom of the man's shirt.
"Oh. Sorry."
"Your friend seems excitable." The man with no legs commented to Beranwen.
"I'm on a quest." Quinton replied quickly. "It's my first quest. It's very exciting."
"Actually," Beranwen muttered, not paying either of them any attention, "You do have cogs down there. Why do you have cogs?"
"Doesn't everybody?"
"No. I'm... I'm sorry to keep staring, but I've never known anyone to have cogs."
"Really?" The man lifted his short slightly and gazed down. "They do look funny, don't they? But I don't remember not having them." He frowned then, and stared off into the middle distance. "Or maybe I do. There was something... Damn and blast. Why can't I remember anything?"
Beranwen, able to see the stump of the man's torso properly for the first time, barely heard him. Where she had expected bone and muscle, there was just a network of fine cogs, metal plates, and a small rubber tube that slowly dripped oil onto the forest floor.

[Part 11]

Comments