For anyone who knows me (even slightly), this won't come as a huge surprise. Something shiny crossed my path, and now my attention has been drawn away from my new year's resolution to this - the Darkside Chronicles.
For the first time in a very long time, I found a writing magazine for sale in an actual shop, and having had slight apoplexy at the price (nearly £4 for a magazine?!), bought it immediately. And there, hidden in the dark recesses of the tiny adverts, was a spot about a new Shared World project called Darkside Chronicles. Basically, the company Musa Publishing has created this world, centred on the city of Southwatch, and they're inviting people to write stories based there. Also, it's a steampunk city. With airships, and automatons, and stylish Victorian-esque fashions. This was the shiny thing that attracted my butterfly mind.
So, two months into my new years resolution, and everything changes. This is what I'm writing instead. I received the world 'bible' this morning and am currently brimming with ideas (and stiffling the urge to correct their typos - honestly, who writes 'sense' instead of 'since'?). This is what I've been missing for the past goodness-knows-how-long - I've been so caught up trying to edit things I've already written I completely missed out on writing new things! And I love writing new things! So I've already written 2,000 words, I'm plotting with abandon, and I'm sincerely hoping they put out a map of Southwatch in the very near future, because it's a really complicated city...
If anyone fancies a new challenge, you should definitely check it out. I have a copy of the world bible if you want it, or there's contact details on the linked page. Let me know if you give it a shot - we can be world-builders together!
For the first time in a very long time, I found a writing magazine for sale in an actual shop, and having had slight apoplexy at the price (nearly £4 for a magazine?!), bought it immediately. And there, hidden in the dark recesses of the tiny adverts, was a spot about a new Shared World project called Darkside Chronicles. Basically, the company Musa Publishing has created this world, centred on the city of Southwatch, and they're inviting people to write stories based there. Also, it's a steampunk city. With airships, and automatons, and stylish Victorian-esque fashions. This was the shiny thing that attracted my butterfly mind.
So, two months into my new years resolution, and everything changes. This is what I'm writing instead. I received the world 'bible' this morning and am currently brimming with ideas (and stiffling the urge to correct their typos - honestly, who writes 'sense' instead of 'since'?). This is what I've been missing for the past goodness-knows-how-long - I've been so caught up trying to edit things I've already written I completely missed out on writing new things! And I love writing new things! So I've already written 2,000 words, I'm plotting with abandon, and I'm sincerely hoping they put out a map of Southwatch in the very near future, because it's a really complicated city...
If anyone fancies a new challenge, you should definitely check it out. I have a copy of the world bible if you want it, or there's contact details on the linked page. Let me know if you give it a shot - we can be world-builders together!
Comments